Hypnosis Self Help - The Desire to be Perfect
One of the causes of stress in our lives is the unrealistic expectation of perfection of ourselves or others.
1. Do you call yourself a perfectionist?
2. Do you judge yourself by others?
3. Do you allow others to see you as you really are?
4. Do you avoid starting things out of fear of failure?
5. Are your expectations of yourself and/or others high and are you constantly disappointed?
If you answered yes to any of the above questions, the following exercise shows how quickly you can change thoughts.
1. Find a quiet place, without interruptions.
2. Close your eyes and focus on your breathing, taking a few deep breaths.
3. Recall a time when you responded as a perfectionist and you experienced tension in your life and your body. As much as you are willing to recall, allow the details to be revealed.
4. As you recall the experience, be aware of your breathing and any area of your body that may be holding tension. Be aware of any feelings such as fear, sadness or powerlessness.
5. Calming your breathing, breath into the area of the stress. Imagine breathing out the feeling and/or stress.
6. Now allow a new situation to come to mind which is pleasant and stress free. Allow them to be thoughts of peace and self acceptance of yourself or others.
7. Open your eyes and stretch. Take time to journal what you have experienced.
“When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.” Lao Tzu
“With every breath, the possibility of a new aspect of self arises.” Wayne Muller
“As long as I am this or that, I am not all things.” Meister Eckhart
Let go of labels and just be who you are! That is truly being perfect!